A Duck on the Water

(A response and agreement.)
I bluster a lot,
puffing up my feathers and saavy-
mostly because I am further away from my personal truth
than I ever imagined I'd be
 With a wiggle and knowing wink,
"Man, if that fucker ever touches me again,
I'll kick his balls into his throat"
with my cocktail tray cocked on hip,
gliding across the floor,
hands shaking, rattling snifters against each other
But let's be honest,
I probably won't
because this is a job,
and his tip counts more than my integrity
All crumbs in the water when there's rent to pay,
and simply keeping out of reach will suffice
to keep his touch at bay
Bosses will shrug,
"Well, it's the industry" they say
When walking to work,
one polite smile on my side
turns into a slow crawling car behind me,
hanging out the window, spittle flying for my attention,
eyes enraged at my silence
I could say,
"I shrugged that shit off and flipped the him the bird!"

But to be honest,
it never crossed my lips
Scared enough to stagger into a diner for help
The owner offering a ride with his dry chuckle unwanted between us,
"What are you doing to get his attention?"
Heading home, cutting close to the park with the pond,
a stranger pulls up, calling me close
My instinct,
shuddering me in shame,
was to go to him
Simply because he asked me to,
because being impolite is bad,
because instincts of flight cower before training
Stepping out of his car, arm outstretched
I could've said, "Fuck off"
but he was larger than me, stronger by far
Knowing if he grabbed hold,
nothing in my power could pry him away
Knowing a slap from me would be shrugged off,
but the reverse would leave my teeth scattered on the sidewalk,
molten, hardened feathers against cracked pavement
Feet flew me out and away,
got me far enough to cry without being seen
When educational assessment
begins as "Young and enthusiastic
Energetic 
Friendly
An obvious favorite of the students
Great teaching career ahead of you!"
But shifts into shadows of "Highly inappropriate
Lack of  boundaries
Not to victim blame, but...
Really, what did you do to encourage him?"
Because a barely eighteen, Southside cock-of-the-walk
asks for a date because I'm single
His first ever college course,
me only a few years older and no wedding band
Instead of shaming him, berating him,
I saw his age-
His upbringing and earnestness
Turned him down softly enough to salvage pride,
gently enough to keep him in class,
carefully enough to keep his promise of being the first to graduate
Believing in him enough to want him to finish
To this day, still not sure if I was right
to take his education upon the sanctity of my flesh
Yet who to turn my rage upon?
The female supervisor,
turning my best attributes against me,
blaming me for his attention,
hating me for protecting him?
The young student,
for eyeing me while I taught,
turning my classroom into a bar,
my mind into a piece of ass for the hunt?
Possessing the temerity to assume I could be his?
At myself,
for the sweater I wore,
for getting to know him?
A thousand other things,
and never knowing even now if I just enabled
one more asshole in a bar,
wearing a student's smile and fumbling feet
How desperately I want to tell you these things,
the good men of the world
But let's be honest,
I won't
Been a duck on the water too long
What seem to you to be outliers, extenuation,
are everyday-
the triggers of nightmares and memories of being prey
Yet, refusing now to bluster and brave on,
disingenuous to experience
Cannot use sass to sashay away from misogyny
Though the desire to stand firm, 
unflappable against unrepentant violation is strong-
just a duck in the bar,
playing the game and playing it well
Hand prints and words shedding into water, sinking silt
The cool exterior cracks with time,
the ability to paddle underneath suffers from quaking kneecaps,
rattling like glasses on a tray
I can no longer be what I was
Too afraid to be anything else,
but let's be honest,
I probably won't stay this way for long-
the desire to fly sways stronger than the fear
of being shot down

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Oblivion

Never at the Same Train Stop