A Handful of Rubies

They gave me a handful of rubies
and said,
Now build your life with these

What was I to do?
I knew no better

So I begged and borrowed and whored
until I amassed a pile of jewels bright and pretty
I hoarded and discarded little bits of love at my whim
I played games on the beach and learned how to win

I became very, very good at the bluff and dodge and evade

Surrounded by cold, lifeless gems and nothing else
My heart now at a loss
Where did I go wrong then?
I played the hand dealt to me without question

Who now is to blame-
the woman or the girl? the peddler of jewels?

With a handful of rubies-
scant few treasures, handed out meagerly
over years of sweat and strain and pleasing-
Built a sandcastle of reflection and pleasure
with naught but buckets and rocks

This is what I know of rubies
Have not let myself know anything else
and soon the tide will come again

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow