Enough

Stops and starts for months,
a fitful motor that's finally run out of fuel and faith

Singing, Should I stay or should I go now?
Too many years
of being stomped and pushed and misunderstood
Don't know if I have anything left
It hurts to breathe

Words tumble from your lips,
sweet and sincere
I know you meant them last night
when I made love to you when I shouldn't have
I'm sure you'll mean them again today

Why now, for Christ's sake?
After all this time
Hand on the door, foot past the jamb,
nice red bricks walling me away,
so close to not being in love anymore

Even if I had a breath left for us
there is too much prior damage done
I'm aching and tired,
too raw to believe
It hurts to breathe

Add insult to injury,
even if the guilt isn't entirely yours,
can't you see I've been here before?
Love and protection don't mean much to me
Echoes of a childhood on repeat

Just wanting the pain to be over, really
To take a deep breath

One more chance
risks oblivion more than heartbreak
I've been breaking slowly all this time
Worried that your trying hard enough won't be enough for me

This time,
I'm afraid you've asked too much

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Oblivion

Never at the Same Train Stop