Lice

In my dream
the toilets were clogged and overflowing
Our father, in thigh rubber boots, managed to
slosh through the shit without much of a blink

I was gagging

My skin crawled with lice, through my hair and over my lips
While you looked on, as if none of this had anything to do with you

In reality
I kissed your head when we were in the courtroom
Wanting so much to reach the you underneath
chemical tracks and unhinged doorways

The stale smell of baby powder hit my nose
I wondered the last time you showered

I was your sister for a split second
with my lips against your hair

But you're really a husk of once-was,
never-will-be, has-beens

I can't give up on you
I can't save you

When we visited our father in the hospital
you were too weak to walk in shoes you chose
because mother said you were too skinny
just the day before

I carried you in the parking garage so your feet
would stop hurting

I love you

I'm tired of carrying you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow