The Love of a Summer Sun

When we sat close enough to touch
I would twirl the golden watch around her wrist
Feel the smooth grooves slide beneath my sticky fingers
Ritualistic and soothing

Spin the watch three times
A binding spell to keep her near

She wore the gold band unconsciously
For every outfit
In every photo

She lamented the loss of diamonds, the family crest, before I was born
What are these things to me?
Cold and sparkling idioms from a distant past

Those were not my treasures

Spin the watch three times again

Her smile was the winter sun
I wanted nothing more than to be scorched by her warmth
Though she tried and tried
nothing could bridge the distance of seasons

I would hug her tightly to me and say- I'm not finished yet
when she pulled away

Just spin the watch three more times

On my own wrist
I wear it now though it's broken
Feeling the smoothed grooves and softened edges

In the end
when I hugged her goodbye, she pulled me close, tighter
and said-
I'm not finished yet

It was a summer sun heating my face just before the night fell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow