1,000 Candles in the Window

There was a candle in the window when I came home
The steady glow cutting insistent into the early morning night

Your light, a ribbon across time,
waxed into the letters amassed between us

So, save a dance for me, my love,
on my wedding day
Me in cream with red lace
You in purple with shoulders bared

We'll scandalize them all, twin skirts rustling
Lay our letters underfoot,
leave heel prints on the backbone of words
Kick off shoes so lines mud-seep between
painted toes

On the wedding cake, I'll light a candle for you
When I hold my daughter for the first  time,
place a taper in the window

 1,000 lights for a 1,000 lifetimes,
a history written in wax, in words

Whatever comes next, whoever comes last,
you came first
and you came carrying light

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Oblivion

Never at the Same Train Stop