Building Wings

a feather for that first heartbreak
a feather for leaving childhood behind for
lonely sidewalks in far off places

wax feathers, silver feathers,
wire-mesh feathers, and feathers turned into roses

a feather for long staircases and sharp, turned corners
ones for picnics on beaches and bright city parks
feathers in my poetry
and sewn into my clothes with green thread,
tied into my hair with frayed orange ribbon

sleek black primaries, or fluffy white down
boxes and boxes of feathers beneath my bed, next to the thimbles
stuffed into pillow cases and underneath sofa cushions

a feather for tomorrow, and what has already passed
a few in my back pocket, just in case
feathers for filling envelopes, sent away to those far off places

kept safe, used and cherished, without knowing why
until I put them all together with thread and ribbon
and took flight
today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Oblivion

Never at the Same Train Stop