The Devil's Train

The devil's train rode by last night,
past my window and on through the dark
I started from a stupor with sweat on my brow, my heart racing
longing desperately to fling open my window and call out for him to stop
The devil is not quiet or tricky,
did not slink into my dreams or whisper in my ear
He barreled through my backyard on tracks made of bone
He laughed wildly, yelling for more steam
Thrashing about in my bed, discontent ate away at my soul
As I sat there dripping with indecision-
his chaotic cries sang in my blood, wanting me to follow
I knew that once I boarded the devil's train I'd never step off again
His screams would echo my own until my bones were laid in the ground
I put my pillow over my ears until the yearning faded
Not for the first time I wondered if it was a coward's choice to stay behind
I can sleep tonight
but I dream of riding through the darkness with the wind in my hair

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow