A Dance With Vernon, Lonnie and Napoleon

Early evening ballroom dancing-
a compromise between empty nesters and the daughter they never understood
Couldn't sit down without a proffered hand
"May I have this dance?"
Miles away from middle school slow-dancing
and wall-flowers,
all my protests of ignorance were waved away with
"I'll show you how"
and so they did

First was Vernon and his arthritic arms
that wrapped around my waist for a two-step
Quick, quick, slow, slow
Giggling feet-watching turned into
noticing how bright his eyes were,
how strong his hands gripped mine
Guided and safe, I barely missed a step
even when steered backwards
with eyes tightly closed

Next Lonnie took me for a waltz
with several trips, skips and
I'm sorry!
in between one two three, one two three
We stopped, tried again
and tried again, again
So dizzy I can't remember anything but a
blush in his cheeks as we held our frame

Finally, for a dance or two,
there was a guy so small he came to my chin
Couldn't read his name tag
but his grip was a tenaciously patient vice
One two three, cha cha cha
He taught me the Chase
and thinking
maybe Napolean was just misunderstood

Watching the parents-
figuring their steps slowly, faces alight
Strangers to me, yes
but not so different when it comes to the dance
We found an understanding somewhere
in the middle of the floor

Comments

  1. Where did this one happen? I'm so enjoying reading your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are taking two-step and the waltz with a ballroom dancing club. I joined them for a free dance one evening during my visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow