Even a Sandman Dreams

Even a Sandman Dreams

1
The devil has a reality show
but no one can tell me the name
Everyone will say it's good though
(No one wants to give the Prince of Darkness a bad rating)
One old biddy says-
It's okay. But an hour too long.
She's still so close to her death that formaldehyde clings to her fingertips
She sold her soul a long time ago, anyway
for a pair of silver knitting needles

I hope she'll knit me a scarf for my day in hell
I hear the farther down you go, the colder it gets,
but Dante always was a bit of a drama queen
(Never appreciated the sunflower dreams I sent on Tuesdays)
Don't think I actually auditioned, but all the big wigs are here
and my memory gets shoddy after the last Inquisition
No one wanted to dream then, just in case of nightmares
Can't blame them, it's nothing personal
Even a Sandman dreams

2
But I've been here before
The wild-eyed Woman Under the Porch can't remember a thing either
and that's okay
All she has to do is grab the occasional straying finger,
the proverbial shadow beneath the floorboards
At least I've got the backyard,
full of dead grass and trees
A part of me wishes I had chains to rattle
I mean
I've got this killer drawn-out, wailing moan
But backyard ghosting is more of a hovering-type deal, with
a) blinking in and out of the light at sunup and sundown;
b) having the single trailing tear just before disappearance
All a little more tragic than my liking, but you take what you get

The guy in the master bedroom, though
he's a real creeper
Out of the 13 in the house,
he's the only one with red skin and no eyes
The rest are mostly muted gray silhouettes,
standard issue
I hover, visit the Woman Under the Porch
She's really very nice
Unless someone walks over her floorboards,
then she shrieks and scrabbles to touch them through the cracks in the wood,
sticks pointed tongue and long, dirty nails through the slats of sunlight
By then I usually leave
'cause she starts muttering about knitting needles
and I can't remember what she means, even if I should

3
Driving my car out of the living room just isn't going well
I keep bumping into the glass menagerie
Things are shattering all around me, despite my best efforts otherwise
and all I want to do is leave
Not sure how it got in here
I'm tired of waking up inside dreams within dreams,
and waking up to my car being gone and inside someone's house down the street
It's getting colder and my heater isn't starting
My fingers struggle with the buttons
The family who lives here will be home any moment, I'm sure

I have no idea what to say,
let alone any clue as to how to fit a car through the front door
I wrap my scarf tighter around my throat
and grab my lighter and cigarettes
My numbing fingers manage to get the window down
It's a beautiful collection of glass, really
Someone's got a fetish for the devil
A tiny, busted pitchfork is underneath my left front tire
Smoke curls around the figurines
I should probably turn the engine off
Doesn't look like I'm going anywhere

4
The guy looks pretty serious
so we pick up the pace
Five of the others are pelting behind me
I guess he didn't like our jokes
Not much for us to do on the streets anyway
Winter gray is in the sky as we run harder
He follows us to the edge of the city
and out towards the river
Cold air burns my lungs,
through the holes in my jacket
My bright red scarf trails behind me,
matching gloves are alternating blood drops
as I pump them faster
He's moving kinda slow now

The river had swelled with winter rain and ice
Freezing water hit my shoes and I bit back a yelp of surprise
Chunks of ice float by, the water moving swiftly for this time of year
There's no way across
My teeth start chattering
The others look to me, but no way across
What was I doing before I started running?
I've been here before
We step back from the river and turn around
I chafe my gloved hands together,
watching the shadow move closer in the failing winter light
My last thought-
I'm glad she asked for the knitting needles,
instead of the golden fiddle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Oblivion

Never at the Same Train Stop