Sandwiches and Butterfly Wings

the corner of Madison and Michigan
a saxophone player underneath scaffolding
"There she is!" as I walk by
I want to believe we know each other

saxophone gliding over my ears, melting on my shoulder blades
the glint of an orange butterfly in traffic
my breath catches, but she makes it to the other side
where the violinist is standing

in the shadow of an art museum, he plays
the push of pedestrians and mad rush on sidewalks
music and art and public places-
like peanutbutter and bread and honey

orange wings float by, skipping on the sound of strings

notes drench the air around me
melody flitting close to my lips, fitting closer than skin
a full-throated soprano calls from the park ahead
a city teeming with music

here I am

recognizable everywhere, anywhere
orange wings carry me across the street
a butterfly finding her way through the traffic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Oblivion

Never at the Same Train Stop