The Sound of Her Wings

She came upon me
Blue-eyes blazing and flames dancing around her
Holding a knife to my throat,
with love and rage suffusing her features,
my eyes and throat clogged with the smell of ash and brimstone
Her wings encircled me, buffeting against my skin with a terrible sound
My reflection gazed back at me from the blade she held aloft
Look at it! she cried when I tried to turn away
I fell to my knees
My image was covered in muck and mire, blood and sinew
I was struggling from the depths, scratching, slashing, crying out
Weeping, I crawled along, like a worm
Never looking up
At what point will you stand up, my child? she asked
When will you stand?
Ashamed, embarrassed, exhausted
with tears standing in my eyes
I looked from the blade and into her burning face
I am waiting for you to stand

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow