Stairway

Saying I love you, letting you go was not the hardest part
Getting off my knees and closing the door behind me
I thought would hurt more
The stairs going down, it hit me
Every step down was one more step away from you
Sitting on your steps and crying for eternity seemed like my only option
but your building echoes and there are babies sleeping
and my tears tonight could wake the world

Left foot, right foot, left foot

My steps are hollow, bouncing goodbyes I never wanted
The you that was mine tucked far away
I watched him fade from your eyes
You smiled for me, my friend once more, but my lover no longer
We were the best of each other while breaking apart
You put yourself aside, knowing I never meant to hurt you
I was more honest with myself, and more brave
The irony being that as we're ending, I only love you more

I called my girlfriend a thousand miles away
Her voice carried me down the stairs, pulled me up when I would've sat down
and somehow I made it outside, made it home
Now we both move on to a new day without the other

I love you
For every step in your building, I love you
For every right foot and left foot, I love you
I love you, a thousand times, in a million places
In ten years of memory, I love you

That will have to be enough

I was wrong
This is the hardest part

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow