Compass (or The Last Place You Look)

Nearly four years now
and I only just found the compass
Standing inside the spokes
was like leveling up and recharging for the next round

It pointed north,
straight into Buckingham Fountain
I looked at the now dark and quiet water,
where only moments before I had put my adulthood aside
and splashed about
Through the darkness of the park, teenagers are playing hide-and-seek
Their shadows cross paths with the statues of Peter Pan

I can see all this
feel all this
from standing inside a compass I never knew was there

This old/new city
Once white, but now steel and sky
I am seeing you with my own eyes now
How am I finding bits of myself everywhere
when before there were only memories belonging to someone else?

I have not been paying attention

And what does the compass tell me?
Stay or go
Home or just another stop on a longer road
I still don't know for sure

But I'll be damned if I didn't find my next step
in the last place I expected

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oblivion

ChocolateSushiCouture- Photo shoot, Spring 2009

Recovering Black Widow